Major Mackay region ports are on track to return to full operations after Cyclone Debbie tore through the region last week.
Abbot Point, Mackay and Hay Point were all closed because of the storm, but have since reopened or are expecting to.
The Port of Mackay was the first to accept ships again. The first vessel after the cyclone arrived at the harbour on Sunday.
Queensland Ports Minister Mark Bailey and Member for Mackay Julieanne Gilbert visited Mackay Port on Wednesday to thank workers who continued to help with recovery efforts.
“As you would expect, there has been damage from debris and flooding in the ports,” Mr Bailey said.
“But I am extremely impressed with the way NQBP has been working closely with port terminal operators, tenants and service providers to work towards the resumption of safe port operations.”
While Abbot Point has not yet resumed operations, vessels have begun anchoring in the port.
Similarly, Hay Point has not yet resumed activity, but is expected to start accepting ships within days.
“Marine Safety Queensland had previously given the okay to vessels off the Ports of Hay Point and Abbot Point to return to anchorage from the outer reef,” Mr Bailey said.
“However, comprehensive seabed surveys need to be completed and the regional harbour masters give the all clear before vessels will be permitted to return to all areas of the navigational channels, berth pockets and wharves at the Port of Hay Point.”
While ports may reopen for traffic, North Queensland Bulk Ports Corporation CEO Steve Lewis said resumption of coal terminal operations at Hay Point and Abbot Point would be a decision made by the private businesses that operate them.